Saturday 30 August 2008

Sheerness Steel

I have no idea who plays here, this is across the road from the Sheppey United ground. And this is where Sheppey United play Dulwich Hamlet Under Eighteens on my visit. I would guess that a local team from the Kent County League may well play here. I would be most interested if someone can tell me a club is actually based here. Although I don't know whose base this ground is I am listing it as 'Sheerness Steel', even though I'm not sure if a club side plays here, because I cannot confirm personally if it is no longer used, so am assuming it is 'current'.



No spectator facilities at all, just an open pitch.












Dugouts on one side. With a closed clubhouse building behind, in the corner.




Portacabins for changing rooms.


4 comments:

splodgenessabounds said...

I think you'll find this is probably shared by the youth teams of AFC Sheppey and Sheerness East, both of whom will probably be playing in the Kent County League Division 1 next season. Sheppey lost in the Play Off final whilst East finished in the relegation places of the Premier Division.
I'm not sure any 'adult' sides are based there.
Sheerness East themselves are based across the Queenborough Road behind the working mens club.

Rabbler said...

Thank for that. As it's not used by a sneior club I'll keep it with the name of the ground, as I'd not be sure where else to put it! ;-)
I did have a quick look at the AFC Sheppey ground over the road too.
Thanks for commenting.

Anonymous said...

Sheerness Steel was a local steel mill that had its sports & social club just off the halfway Rd. They had two mens teams and several youth sides. When the company was liquidated in 2002, the ground was sold to a local businessman who now lets it out to Sheppey Utd and some Sunday league teams.

Anonymous said...

The ground is now called Holm Park and will be utilised next season by Sheerness East & Sheppey United FC whom have amalgamated. The club name is not finalised but there is alot of works happening at the ground with new changing room, hard standing, fencing etc. The newly formed club are hoping to challenge for Kent Invicta League status in the next couple of years.